Although it’s quite possible that I’ve been secretly (or not so secretly) counting down to fall (swoon!) there are just some things about summer I sure will miss once the crisp fall air is here to stay. One of them is farm fresh (or farmers market!) summer veggies & herbs!
Every year I tell myself I’m going to make pesto non-stop & every year I never seem to live up to that goal, maybe 2017 will be my year! As summer draws to a close, I decided to make one last batch of pesto using fresh basil while it’s available by the bushel.
Check out this GORGEOUS homemade pesto y’all – that color just screams summer!
Homemade Pesto From Scratch
Here’s What You’ll Need:
3 Cups of Fresh Basil
1-2 Cloves of Garlic (depending on size & personal love affair with garlic)
1/2 Cup Pine Nuts
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (or more, mmmm gimme ALL the cheese!)
1/2 Cup-ISH of EVOO (you’ll see!)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Let’s Get Started:
1. Add your basil, garlic (whole cloves, skinned), pine nuts, parmesan, salt & pepper to taste & a SPLASH of EVOO to your blender.
2. Turn on your blender to the lowest speed possible; slowly increase the speed while adding the remaining EVOO until your ingredients start to come together to form the ridiculously gorgeous green color combo that is FRESH PESTO!!
3. Now the reason I note 1/2 Cup-ISH of EVOO is that it can really depend on your mix; typically for around 3 cups of basil I find that 1/2 Cup plus the beginning splash is sufficient for my liking but obviously blend & adjust/add to yours!
4. Once the pesto has reached your desired level of smoothness, remove from the blender & store in a lovely little jar like the one shown above. My obsession with Ball Jars is real y’all!
5. Feel free to INHALE with ALL OF THE BREAD- fresh or store bought, it will be our secret!
Now this will store in the fridge for around a week if you cover the pesto with a layer of EVOO and your jar is tightly sealed. It will also store wonderfully in the freezer for up to 3-6 months. For the best freezer results, we’d recommend portioning out your pesto & adding a layer of EVOO to each portion prior to freezing.
This pesto is perfect just as a snack or appetizer with bread & cheese but feel free to experiment & use as you wish! I would definitely recommend throwing it into your weekly pasta meal, you won’t regret it!
You also won’t regret making HOMEMADE pesto, it’s absolutely delicious & cheaper than the stuff you find at the local supermarket that contains who knows what.
Anywho, I’m just rambling on at this point, if you try this one out please let me know what you think!