Summer is in full swing here on the farm, which means plenty of summer fruits & berries for cocktails & crumble’s alike. If you’ve been following us for awhile, you’ll know I’m not really the baker type. I’ve always felt that people are either cooks or bakers & I’m most definitely a cook through & through.
So that means two things if & when you see me post desserts here …
It’s REALLY good & you should totally make it!
It’s REALLY easy otherwise ain’t nobody got time fo that!
One recipe that checks both of those boxes is my Blueberry, Peach & Bourbon Crumble!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
For the filling:
5 sliced peaches (about 6 cups)
1 cup blueberries
2 oz (1/4 cup) Buffalo Trace Bourbon (or whatever you’ve got on hand!)
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBSP cornstarch
1 TSP cinnamon
1/2 TSP lemon zest
1 TSP lemon juice
1/2 TSP vanilla extract
For the crumble:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup thick rolled oats (regular would do just fine!)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 TSP salt
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter; cut into small cubes
2 TBSP heavy cream
ALLLLLL the vanilla ice cream you can get your hands on!
Let’s Get Started:
1. Let’s kick things off by preheating your oven to 375 °
2. While that’s coming up to temp, grab a large mixing bowl. Combine the peaches, blueberries, bourbon, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon zest, lemon juice & vanilla.
3. Stir to combine & set aside.
4. Grab another large (or medium if you’re like me & only have 1 of each!) mixing bowl so that we can get started on that crumble topping. Combine the flour, oats, sugar & salt, stir to combine.
5. Add in the cold butter cubes & cut the butter into the flour mix with a fork (or pastry blender if you fancy!)
6. Stir to combine until the the texture is coarse & holds together in clumps in your hand when you squeeze it together.
7. Add in the heavy cream & mix until the dough just comes together a tiny bit more.
8. Alright, let’s actually get started – shall we? Pour your filling into a 10 inch cast iron skillet – you could also use two 6 inch skillets; yes I’m aware that doesn’t even out 😉
9. Spoon the crumble mixture evenly over the filling.
10. Place your skillet(s) into the oven (uncovered) & bake for 35-40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling & the topping is lightly toasted/golden brown.
Pro Tip: I’d recommend placing a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil under the skillets or on the lower rack in your oven just in case anything bubbles over.
11. Let cool (I know, it’s hard!) – then serve with a scoop (or two!) of vanilla ice cream!
Pro Tip: If you happen to accidentally drizzle a bit of this on top, I promise not to tell 😉
Y’all – this is the perfect way to end a summer evening, give it a go & let me know what you think!