WARNING: if you aren’t ready for fall, stop reading now 😉
Guys – I freaking LOVE everything about fall! The weather, the changing of the leaves, our fireplace, harvest @ the farm (which is quickly approaching!), THE COOKING & it means I actually want to BAKE because our house isn’t a trillion degrees.
Queue these RIDICULOUSLY amazing brownies that I recently collaborated with my girl Carissa from TheFermentedAlaskan on!
Let’s be real y’all … who the hell makes brownies from scratch? Apparently ME!
This is my 1st attempt at from scratch brownies & my primary goal was to get them to be just like the box you grew up with – chewy, fudgy, delicious AF & with that shiny flaky top you remember. My secondary goal was to not F up, mission accomplished!
This recipe knocked it outta the park – y’all have to try these ASAP!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
✅1 1/4 Cup Plain White Sugar
✅5 TBSP Unsalted Butter
✅2 Large Eggs plus 1 Egg Yolk
✅1 TSP Vanilla
✅3/4 Cup Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
✅1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
✅1/2 Cup AP Flour
✅1/8 TSP Baking Soda
✅1 TBSP Cornstarch
✅1/4 TSP Salt
✅3/4 Cup Tollhouse Semisweet Mini Chocolate Chips
✅1/4 Cup Navitas Organic Cacao Nibs*
✅2 oz Amaro**
* If you can’t find or don’t want to use Cacao Nibs you can totally opt out; just use 1 Cup of the Mini Chocolate Chips instead of the original 3/4 Cup noted above.
**I used my friend Carissa’s Homemade Spruce-Tip Amaro which is just to DIE for & added the perfect amount of minty, chocolatey nom-ness I was looking for. Since there’s a good chance you probably don’t know Carissa & her products aren’t formally on the market so to speak (yet!) I would recommend substituting Fernet Branca’s Branca Menta here – sooooo good & will provide the same flavor profile that we’re aiming for.
***Please feel free to omit the booze altogether if booze ain’t yo thang.
Let’s Get Started:
1. Start by preheating your oven to 325°F & spraying an 8×8 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Melt your butter in a small pan over medium-low heat. Add in your sugar & stir to combine.
3. Add the above mixture to a large bowl. Whisk in your eggs, egg yolk & vanilla.
4. Stir in the oil & cocoa powder.
5. Using a rubber spatula, stir in your flour, baking soda, cornstarch & salt until combined.
6. Toss in your chocolate chips & cacao nibs.
7. If you’re adding booze, go ahead & mix it in now.
8. Spread your brownie batter evenly into the prepared 8×8 pan.
9. Place in the oven (middle rack) and bake for 30 minutes – or until the brownies are set. You can use the toothpick test here to check for doneness; you’re looking for moist crumbs attached when you test the center of your pan.
10. DO NOT OVERCOOK, seriously tho!
11. Let your brownies cool completely before cutting & serving.
These can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days… if they last that long 😉
Y’all, I am not a baker & these have gotten killer reviews, not only from the hubs but my coworkers as well! Next time you’re in the mood for some chewy fudg-tastical brownies, challenge yourself & whip these up – they’re a sure-fire hit!