In my honest opinion, “Grenadine” is often used loosely when it comes to the so-labeled items lining the shelves in your local grocer or even liquor store. Sure, there are a few decent brands that actually use pomegranate juice; however, there’s usually cherry juice hiding in there as well. Furthermore, most brands don’t even use juice at all, choosing to utilize HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) & Red 40… so why not make your own?
Here’s What You’ll Need:
✅4 Cups (32oz) Pom Wonderful Pomegranate Juice
✅1.5 Cups of Sugar
✅1oz Fresh Lemon Juice
✅1/2 TSP Orange Blossom Water
✅1/2 TSP Rose Flower Water
✅1oz Vodka; optional
Let’s Mix Things Up:
1. Start by grabbing your favorite medium sauce pan (I grabbed my 3.5 Q Le Creuset).
2. Combine all ingredients (minus the vodka) over high heat; stirring to dissolve the sugar.
3. Once boiling; reduce heat to medium-low & simmer for about 50 minutes.
4. Around 45 or so minutes in, start checking for a light syrup-like texture to develop; you can test this by stirring & watching for a slight coating to the back of your spoon.
5. Once your syrup has reached your desired level of thickness, remove from heat & allow to cool.
6. If adding, this is when you’d want to pour in your vodka; we like adding it as a preservative.
7. Bottle & refrigerate accordingly.
Shelf Life: 6 months
Fun Fact – The English word, “grenade” stems from the old French “pom-grenade” – meaning “an item with an explosive shell” & if you’ve ever de-seeded (arils) a pomegranate, you know this correlation all too well.
Lol – anywho, we promise if you give this a go you’ll never go back to store bought.
If you do give it a try we’d love to hear what you think!